I was going to start this review with a joke about seeing a pig flying, but I preferred to give up and go ahead with the review of one of the most expected games ever. Hope you understand.
Angry Birds games have reached such level of popularity and success that they are actually quite hard to beat. They are a reference for the whole mobile gaming industry and, above all, they are hellishly fun. By the way, the antagonists of the AB franchise are as charismatic as the birds themselves, and their own line of plushes and merchandising let us to foresee that something big could come. Later, Rovio tried to surprise us with their version of Incredible Machine, which was indeed a great game but was far of meeting users' expectations. Fortunately, it seems that Rovio staff learnt a thing or two then.
Lastly, here comes Bad Piggies, the game that either would launch Rovio to the Valhalla of videogaming industry or will bury it in its own legend, damned to roam around umpteen reinterpretations of Angry Birds. I can advance that the answer is the former: Bad Piggies reinvents Angry Birds universe in an unexpected way without letting aside any of the elements that made that franchise famous. Bad Piggies is fun, loyal to Angry Birds's design and means a lot of new challenges to hardcore and casual players alike.
Gameplay is quite easy to explain: you have to build a vehicle to get certain goals given a limited amount of pieces. Once the vehicle starts moving you can change its course by tapping on certain buttons related to the elements you used before: you can pump the bellows or move the wings, for example. In your way there are dynamite boxes, spiky rocks and obstacles that will make the difference between just advancing a level and fulfilling the stage with a three star rating.
It must be kept clear that it isn't an easy game. Every stage is a mind racking puzzle, and it's been a wise move to include a hint (bulb) button and the Mechanic Piggie character (will this end as the Smurfs' village?) who can solve the puzzle in your name. Luck doesn't play a so important role as it did in Angry Birds last updates (especially on the most haphazard version, AB Space) so it's more about thinking what are you going to do and not flicking stuff just to see what happens next.
Absolutely recommendable. A lovely and smart game, suited for all ages, that inaugurates a new era in Rovio's career. It might not be as casual as Angry Birds, but it hasn't have to be. It's more clever, and we love it.Tags: bad piggies 3.
Developer's original description available here
Developer's original description available hereFrom the creators of Angry Birds: a game from the PIGS’ point of view! OiNk! Build makeshift contraptions from a huge collection of parts and make it to the goal without blowing your vehicle to pieces!
IGN's "Best Mobile Game of 2012" Winner!
"Extremely fun and very challenging" -- Kotaku
“The best title Rovio has released yet” - IGN
“4/4 - Must Have” -- Slide to Play
"Bad Piggies is awesome, and needs to be a part of your iOS game collection just as much as the rest of the Angry Birds series" - Touch Arcade
"If you can’t enjoy watching a pig drive a badly constructed car off a cliff and onto a pile of dynamite, you probably don’t have a soul." - Yahoo/BGR
Create the ultimate flying/crawling/rolling/spinning/crashing device and pilot the pigs safely to the eggs!
The Bad Piggies are after the eggs again -- but as usual, nothing is going according to plan! Can you create the ultimate flying machine and steer them safely to their destination? Those tricky pigs have a few objects they can use, but they need your help to turn these into the perfect transportation!
With more than 200 levels, and free updates coming up, you have hours and hours of pig-crashing, exploding, and flying fun! Get three stars to unlock 36 more levels! HINT: Sometimes you need to play the level several times to achieve all the objectives -- try building a new device or steering in a different way to earn all the stars!
● Over 200 levels crammed with flying/driving/crashing fun!
● 36 additional levels unlocked by getting three stars!
● Free updates!
● 9 sandbox levels to stretch your creativity, plus Junkyard available as IAP!
● Ultra-special, ultra-secret, ultra-difficult sandbox level to unlock by collecting ten skulls! Oh – guess it’s not a secret anymore...
● 37 objects to create the ultimate machine: motors, wings, fans, bottle rockets, umbrellas, balloons, and much more!
● Need help? This little piggy will build it for you!
● Mechanic pig pre-assembles transport for you!
● All you have to do is pilot it!
● Tweak his design to get all three stars!
New Sandbox Level: Little Pig Adventure
● It’s new, free, and HUGE!
● BIGGEST sandbox ever!
● No limits to your creativity in this massive sandbox!
● Use the new Gearbox to put your contraptions in reverse!
Get ready to see pigs fly!
Become a fan of Bad Piggies on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter:
Important Message for Parents
This game may include:
- Direct links to social networking websites that are intended for an audience over the age of 13.
- Direct links to the internet that can take players away from the game with the potential to browse any web page.
- Advertising of Rovio products and also products from select partners.
- The option to make in-app purchases. The bill payer should always be consulted beforehand.